N1

30/08/2013

Man has 5-foot dreadlocks cut off after growing hair for 20 years

A man with 5-foot-long dreadlocks has had them cut off for charity, after not having a haircut for 20 years.

Gareth Robinson first got dreadlocks at the age of 16, and they eventually grew to weigh 3lbs. His hair was so long that the 35-year-old would often sit on his locks by mistake.

Robinson, from Bournemouth, raised £500 for Cancer Research in sponsorship after having them removed.

The medical screener for the air ambulance said: "'My hair has been this way since I was 16 so I am still getting used to it. It all started because I was at that age and I couldn't find any other hairstyle that seemed to suit me.

"In more recent years it was easier to manage, although washing it could be a two-person affair," he continued. "My partner Jana had to hold it out of the way while I washed my scalp, otherwise they could take three days to dry."

Robinson added that he wanted to raise money for a cancer charity because his mother Lin had battled and overcome the disease.

He said: "She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003 and ovarian cancer in 2006 but received the all-clear two years ago."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...